Summer sun protection
Taking care of the skin is top priority all year long, and not just during the summer. However, many of us spend more time outdoors during the summer than any other season. With this in mind, it is so important for patients in and around the area of Boca Raton, FL to take note regarding ways to keep the skin protected from harmful sun rays. Dr. Marta Rendon is a board-certified dermatologist at the Rendon Center Dermatology and Aesthetic Medicine who can educate patients on how to care for their skin during the harsh summer months and protect themselves against sunburn and skin cancer.
Tips for summer sun protection:
• Use sunblock. Sun protection starts with the use of sunblock every day. Use a sunblock that protects against both UVA and UVB rays and that has an SPF of 30 or higher.
• Wear clothes with longer sleeves. Protection of the skin against the sun can also be done with the use of long-sleeve shirts and pants that cover exposed skin. There are many lightweight long-sleeved tops that are made with sun safety in mind and are perfect for protection.
• Avoid the sun during the midday hours. The sun is the most intense between 10am and 4pm every day. If you plan on being outdoors during this time, make sure to apply high SPF sunscreen or wear a hat, shirt, or other protective gear.
• Reapply sunblock regularly. Sunblock should be applied every two hours, but every hour if you are sweating or swimming.
• Have regular skin cancer screenings. A single sunburn can increase your risk of skin cancer dramatically. Skin cancer is physically present and is the easiest to diagnose and treat in the earlier stages. All patients should have an annual skin cancer screening with their dermatologist to be proactive in skin health.
Call the Rendon Center Dermatology and Aesthetic Medicine today!
Boca Raton, FL area patients are advised to speak to a board-certified dermatologist about their skincare needs. If you want to get your body summer ready and protect against sunburn and skin cancer, we can help! Call (561) 750-0544 to request an appointment at the practice conveniently located at 1001 NW 13th Street, Ste. #100 and get started taking care of your skin! Dr. Marta Rendon is always open to providing skincare solutions for new and current patients.