How to Treat Oily Skin
The facial skin is exposed every day to the elements. It can be very difficult for patients to keep healthy and beautiful due to environmental changes. For example, some patients struggle with dry skin during the winter months and oily skin during the summer. At the Rendon Center, Dr. Marta Rendon can help patients develop a skin care routine that works for them all year long, especially for those who routinely deal with oily skin.
What causes oily skin?
Oily skin is not necessarily a sign of poor skincare. Some patients deal with oily skin, while others deal with dry skin. Each patient is unique, which is why treatment needs to be tailored to a specific patient and their needs. Oily skin may be caused by conditions such as acne, or may be a reaction to dry skin. The skin may attempt to counteract the dryness with increased oil production, but instead produce too much. During an initial evaluation with our board-certified dermatologist, patients can determine the cause of their oily skin and learn about ways to maintain it properly.
How to treat oily skin
There are many ways in which a patient can target oily skin and bring their skin back to a healthy balance. Below are a few recommendations:
• Use cleansers, moisturizers and toners every day
• Look for products that contain salicylic acid, tea tree oil, and sulfur which can reduce oils
• Use astringents every other day to tighten pores and remove oil
• Exfoliate regularly, preferably once a week
• Use a facial mask regularly, preferably once a week
• Control shine during the day with oil-control paper
• Treat conditions such as acne with over-the-counter or prescription medications
• Consider laser and light therapies to destroy sebaceous glands
Are you interested in learning more about skin care solutions?
Patients in and around the area of Boca Raton, FL who are ready to change their skin care routine to suit their unique needs are encouraged to call Dr. Marta Rendon, board-certified dermatologist at the Rendon Center. Patients can call (561) 750-0544 to schedule their initial visit at 1001 NW 13th Street, Suite 100.